The first settlement of the village site occurred around 1789. The village was incorporated in 1821. It was once the home for production of Elmer's Glue. In 1982, many of its historic buildings were included in the Bainbridge Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places. The Charles C. Hovey House and Strong Leather Company Mill was listed in 1996.