|Alt names||Castle Park Estate||source: 20th century settlement in parish|
|Moorside Estate||source: 20th century settlement in parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Tyne and Wear, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Earsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1897|
|Earsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England||urban district of which it was a part 1897-1935|
|Seaton Valley, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Backworth is now a village in the metropolitan borough of North Tyneside in the county of Tyne and Wear, England, about 3 1⁄2 miles (6 km) west of Whitley Bay on the north east coast and 5 miles (8 km) northeast of Newcastle. Other nearby towns include North Shields to the southeast, Wallsend to the south, and Cramlington to the northwest.
Backworth is often recognised to include Backworth Village, the Moorside Estate and the Castle Park Estate.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Backworth was a township in the ancient parish of Earsdon (near North Shields). It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1897 it was part of Tynemouth Rural District and from 1897 until 1935 part of Earsdon (near North Shields) urban district. In 1935 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Seaton Valley.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Backworth, Northumberland, England | Earsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, England | Seaton Valley, Northumberland, England