- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Backworth is a village in the metropolitan borough of North Tyneside in the county of Tyne and Wear, England, about west of Whitley Bay on the north east coast. It lies northeast of Newcastle and north northwest of Sunderland. Other nearby towns include North Shields to the southeast, Wallsend to the south, and Cramlington to the northwest.
Backworth is often recognised to include, Backworth Village, Moorside Estate and Castle Park Estate.
The hamlets of West Holywell and East Holywell lie to the northeast of Backworth. Shiremoor lies to the South-East and Earsdon to the East.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.