|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Corbridge, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Corbridge, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
|Tynedale District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Aydon Castle, previously sometimes called Aydon Hall, is a fortified manor house at Aydon near to the town of Corbridge, Northumberland, England. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and is designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Aydon Castle from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "AYDON-CASTLE, a township in Corbridge parish, Northumberland; 1½ mile N of Corbridge. Acres: 393. Population: 30. Houses: 5. A fortified house of the Aydon family was built here, in the time of Edward I., on the side of a ravine; and still stands well in a state of ruin. It has the form of the letter H, with a tower at the end of each of the four wings. The walls are very thick; and one of the towers is upwards of 60 feet high."
Aydon Castle was a township in the ancient parish of Corbridge. In 1866 it became a separate civil parish. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 it was abolished as a civil parish and its area was absorbed back into the parish of Corbridge.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Aydon Castle, Northumberland, England | Corbridge, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Tynedale District, Northumberland, England