Avon is a town in Livingston County, New York, United States. The town is bordered on the north by the town of Rush, New York in Monroe County. Avon is south of Rochester. The population was 7,146 at the 2010 census. The town is named after the river Avon. The town has a village within it also called Avon.
The town was settled around 1785. The town was formed in 1789 as the town of Hartford, and the name was changed to Avon in 1808. In 1818, part of the town was used to form the new town of Rush (in Monroe County).
Mineral springs were an important resource of the early town, and bath houses were constructed for many visitors.