|Alt names||Avintune||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 122|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Itchen Valley, Hampshire, England||civil parish of which it has been part since 1932|
|Winchester District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Avington is a small village in the English county of Hampshire.
It is located on the banks of the River Itchen to the northeast of the city of Winchester. Administratively, since 1932 it has been part of the Itchen Valley civil parish that, in turn, has been part of the City of Winchester District since 1974.
It has the honour of being mentioned in a folk song title "Avington Pond", which can found on the CD "Folk Songs of Hampshire".
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Avington, Hampshire.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Avington.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Avington, Hampshire, England | Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England | Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England | Itchen Valley, Hampshire, England | Winchester District, Hampshire, England