Place:Aulnay-sous-Bois, Seine-Saint-Denis, France

Watchers
NameAulnay-sous-Bois
Alt namesAulnay-lès-Bondysource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeCommune
Coordinates48.95°N 2.517°E
Located inSeine-Saint-Denis, France
Also located inSeine-et-Oise, Île-de-France, France    
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Aulnay-sous-Bois is a French commune in the Seine-Saint-Denis department in the Île-de-France region in the north-eastern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located from the Kilometre zero.

The inhabitants of the commune are known as Aulnaysiens or Aulnaysiennes.

The commune has been awarded four flowers by the National Council of Towns and Villages in Bloom in the Competition of cities and villages in Bloom.

History

Evidence of settlements around 6000 B.C.E. have been found in the Sausset valley. Between the 3rd and 5th cneturies B.C.E. a farming community lived around a "villa", which was the domain of a man named Sabinus. Until the 15th century the area is ruled by local lords named d’Aulnay, to be followed later by the Coittier and Gourgues families. In 1814 and 1870 the town was occupied by Prussian forces. In 1875 the train station was opened, as the town was situated on the new Paris - Soissons railway line. Aulnay becomes developed thanks to the rail traffic'


Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Aulnay-sous-Bois. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.