- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Auckland St. Andrew was an ancient parish and a civil parish in County Durham, England until 1937. It was the predecessor of the modern town of Bishop Auckland. When it was abolished in 1937 its 1725 acres was split between the parishes of Bishop Auckland and Shildon.
As an ancient parish it had a great many townships. (See below.)
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Auckland St. Andrew from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "AUCKLAND (St. Andrew), a township and a parish in Auckland [registration] district, Durham. The township lies on the Bishop-Auckland and Weardale railway, and at the confluence of the Gannless and the Wear rivers, 1 mile SE of Bishop-Auckland. Acres: 1,186. Real property: £12,242, of which £9,373 are in mines. Population: 1,401. Houses: 283.
- "The parish includes also the town of Bishop-Auckland, and the townships of Bishop-Auckland, St. Helen-Auckland, Middlestone, Westerton, Old-Park, Binchester, Newfield, Byers-Green, Hunwick and Helmington, Newton-Cap, Pollards-Lands, Coundon, Coundon-Grange, Windlestone, Eldon, Middridge-Grange, East Thickley, Shildon, Middridge, West Auckland, Barony, Lynesack and Softley, Hamsterley, North Bedburn, and South Bedburn; and its Post Town is Bishop-Auckland under Darlington. Acres: 45,868. Real property: £134,725. Population in 1841: 19,100; in 1861: 32,111. Houses: 6,301. The property, in most parts, is subdivided; in many parts, much subdivided. Coal and limestone are extensively worked. The living, with [Auckland] St. Ann, is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £587. Patron: the Bishop of Durham. The church is a cruciform structure, with a tower at the west end; was made collegiate by Bishop Beck, in 1292, for a dean and nine prebendaries; contains brasses and the effigies of a crusader; and needs repair. The chapelries of St. Helen-Auckland, Byers-Green, Etherley, Hamsterley, Shildon, Witton-le-Wear, Coundon, Escomb, Fir. Tree, Hunwick, Lynesack, Evenwood, and New Shildon, are separate charges. Three endowed schools have an income of £485; and other charities have £304."
Townships in parish
The list was produced originally from Wilson's 1870-72 Gazetteer and compared with the list provided in A Vision of Britain Through Time. There are some places which appear on one list and not the other. This may be a matter of when townships existed and for how long, but there may have been some confusion by the compilers. Inspection of this map will permit comparison of locations.