Place:Auckland St. Helen, Durham, England

NameAuckland St. Helen
Alt namesSt. Helen Aucklandsource: alternate name
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates54.639°N 1.728°W
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1937)
See alsoAuckland St. Andrew, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Darlington Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Auckland Rural, Durham, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1937
Bishop Auckland, Durham, Englandurban district into which it was part absorbed in 1937
Etherley, Durham, Englandurban district into which it was part absorbed in 1937
Wear Valley District, Durham, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Auckland St. Helen from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"AUCKLAND (St. Helen), a township-chapelry in the parish of St. Andrew-Auckland, Durham; on the river Gannless and on the Haggerleases branch railway, 2½ miles SW of Bishop-Auckland. It has a station on the railway; and its Post Town is West Auckland under Darlington. Acres: 1,480. Real property: £7,570, of which £5,102 are in mines. Population: 842. Houses: 167. The property is subdivided. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £220. Patron: the Bishop of Durham. The church is tolerable."

Auckland St. Helen was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew which became a civil parish in the 19th century and was part of Auckland Rural District until 1937 when it was split between the parishes of Bishop Auckland and Etherley. Between 1974 and 2009 it was located in Wear Valley non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.

The co-ordinates quoted come from Google Earth which locates Auckland St. Helen close to West Auckland and beyond Etherley from the centre of Bishop Auckland.

Research Tips