The Village of Attica is on the northern border of Wyoming County. The village lies mostly within the Town of Attica, but the northern part of the village is within the adjacent Town of Alexander in Genesee County.
In 1802, Zerah Phelps became the first landowner in the Attica area. He owned a gristmill, and was also the first business owner in Attica. By 1810 the settlement grew into a town, but malaria and plague drove the settlers to higher ground. During the War of 1812 many people fled to the area from Buffalo. In 1837, Phelps' Settlement was incorporated, becoming the Village of Attica. The village is named after a region in Greece.
In 1854, Dr. Orin Davis established his health institute that people traveled to from around the country for treatment.
In 1883, Eugene Norton created a cheese factory that became known as The Pineapple Cheese Factory. In 1918 the company's molds and patents were sold to the Kraft Cheese Company. The Stevens Family has owned some very prestigious livestock and one of their horses took first prize at the World's Fair. Agriculture remains an important aspect of the community.
As New York State began to expand its penal system, a group of citizens worked to get a state prison in Attica. In March 1929, roughly were acquired for the prison and construction began in October. After two years the first inmates were transferred to Attica.