|Name||Aston cum Aughton|
|Alt names||Aughton (near Rotherham)||source: from redirect|
|Aston-with-Aughton||source: from redirect|
|Aston with Aughton||source: unlatinized|
|Aston||source: village in parish|
|Aston (near Rotherham)||source: placename variation|
|Aughton||source: village in parish|
|Swallownest||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||South Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Strafforth and Tickhill Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Rotherham Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which it was a part until 1974|
|Rotherham (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, England||metropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Aston with Aughton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ASTON-WITH-AUGHTON, a township and a parish in Rotherham [registration] district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Rother, 2 miles SSW of Beighton [railway] station, and 5 E of Rotherham; and has a post office, of the name of Aston, under Rotherham. Real property: £7,105, of which £2,002 are in mines. Population: 995. Houses: 195.
- "The parish includes also part of the township of Ulley. Acres: 2,915. Real property, with the rest of Ulley: £8,569. Population: 1,032. Houses: 203. The property is sub-divided. The manor belonged formerly to the D'Arcys, and belongs now to the Duke of Leeds. [Aston] Hall is the seat of T. Tillotson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value: £760. Patron: the Duke of Leeds. The church is ancient, and contains a monument to Lord D'Arcy and his three wives, a splendid screen, and a Norman font. There are Methodist chapels, national schools, and charities £37. The Rev. William Mason, the editor of Gray's poems and the author of "Isis" and other poems of his own, was rector."
Aston with Aughton was originally an ancient parish in Strafforth and Tickhill Wapentake in the West Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 both Aston with Aughton (all one ancient parish) and its township of Ulley became civil parishes. In 1894 they each became part of the Rotherham Rural District of the West Riding. Since 1974 it has been in Southt Yorkshire, specifically within the Rotherham Metropolitan Borough. According to the UK census of 2001 it had a population of almost 14,000.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
The parish has always consisted of the villages of Aston and Aughton, along with the smaller Swallownest. To the west the parish borders the unparished area of Sheffield Metropolitan Borough. Buildings of interest include the Aston Manor house, the original West family house in Aughton, the historically significant Aston Reading Room, several early farm cottages boasting magnificent period features and a beautiful 12th-century church.
The villages of Aston and Aughton were recorded in the Domesday Book as "Estone" and "Hactone", and were at that time already well established, with a total combined value of £1 sterling. Swallownest is a much later settlement existing as a separate entity since the 1740s. Nathaniel Swallow, a farmer after whom the village is presumably named, was an early resident. Swallow's house, still intact - although in desperate need of repair, was left standing until 2006, when the land was bought by developers and transformed into a small housing estate.
The parish has twice expanded rapidly. The coal mines brought an influx of workers during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The recent new housing estates have, once again, increased the population. Links to Rotherham and Sheffield are good.
Categories: West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Aston cum Aughton, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Strafforth and Tickhill Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Rotherham Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Rotherham (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, England | South Yorkshire, England