Ashton upon Mersey has been since 1974 a part of Sale in the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford, Greater Manchester, England. It lies on the south bank of the River Mersey, in the northwestern part of Sale, and is situated about 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Manchester city centre.
Until 1974 it was located in of Cheshire. It became an urban district in 1895 under the Local Government Act 1894. In 1930 the Ashton upon Mersey urban district was abolished and the area became a part of the urban district of Sale.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Ashton upon Mersey.