Place:Ashton, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameAshton
Alt namesAshton-Hayessource: Family History Library Catalog
Estonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 52
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.217°N 2.733°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoEddisbury (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was once situated
Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1870
Chester Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1870-1937
West Cheshire Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1937-1974
Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Chester City (borough), Cheshire, Englanddistrict in which it was located 1974-2009
Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, Englandunitary authority in which it is located since 2009
Tarvin, Cheshire, Englandancient parish in which the township was located until 1866
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Until 2004 Ashton was a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The main village within the parish was named Ashton Hayes. The parish was renamed Ashton Hayes in 2004 following a referendum, to avoid confusion with other places of the same name.

The village is located about 8 miles east of Chester on the B5393 road. The nearest villages are Mouldsworth to the north east and Kelsall to the south east. According to the 2011 Census the parish had a population of 936.

Ashton was until 1866 a township in the ancient parish of Tarvin. Its population was 342 in 1801, 430 in 1851, 408 in 1901, and 394 in 1951. In addition to Ashton Hayes, the parish contains the hamlets of Brine's Brow and Woodside (both redirected here).

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ashton Hayes. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

[[Category:Eddisbury (hundred), Cheshire, England|hundred in which it was once situated