|Alt names||Esselei||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 122|
|Esselie||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 122|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Kings Somborne Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1834|
|Buddlesgate Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Test Valley District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Ashley is a village and civil parish in the Test Valley district of Hampshire, England, west of Winchester. Its nearest town is Stockbridge, which lies 2.6 miles (4.2 km) north-west. At the 2001 census the parish had a population of 72. Ashley Castle is in the village.
Ashley was in the Stockbridge Rural District from 1894 until 1932, and in the Romsey and Stockbridge Rural District from 1932 until 1974. Since 1974 the parish has been in the Test Valley District of Hampshire.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Ashley.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Ashley, Hampshire, England | Kings Somborne Hundred, Hampshire, England | Buddlesgate Hundred, Hampshire, England | Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England | Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England | Test Valley District, Hampshire, England