Place:Asheldham, Essex, England

Watchers


NameAsheldham
Alt namesHainctunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 100
Haintunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 100
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.667°N 0.85°E
Located inEssex, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Asheldam is a hamlet and civil parish in Essex, England. It is located about southeast of Maldon and is east-southeast from the county town of Chelmsford. The village is in the district of Maldon and the parliamentary constituency of Maldon & East Chelmsford. The village is part of Asheldham and Dengie Parish Council.

It is on the Dengie peninsula, and is about 12 miles by road from Maldon. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 154.

A Ham class minesweeper launched in September 1953 was named after the hamlet. In April 1959 HMS Asheldham was transferred to the Royal Malaysian navy where it was renamed RMN Sri Perlis.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Asheldham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.