Ashby St. Mary is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The civil parish has an area of 2.03 square kilometres (0.78 sq mi) and in the 2001 census had a population of 297 in 115 households, the population increasing to 316 at the 2011 Census. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the District of South Norfolk.
The village is situated 7 1⁄2 miles (12.1 km) south-east of Norwich and 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Thurton, with the smaller settlements of Claxton (to the north), Hellington (to the west) and Carleton St. Peter (to the east) all lying a similar distance away. The church has a high tower, a long, low nave, and an impressive Norman door.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ashby St. Mary from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: