Place:Ashby St. Mary, Norfolk, England

NameAshby St. Mary
Alt namesAscebeisource: Domesday Book (1985) p 186
Asebeisource: Domesday Book (1985) p 186
Ashby St Marysource: Domesday Book (1985) p 186; Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 29
Ashby Saint Marysource: long form
Assebeisource: Domesday Book (1985) p 186
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.567°N 1.423°E
Located inNorfolk, England
See alsoLoddon Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Loddon and Clavering Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Loddon Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
South Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municiplaity covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: This is one of two places in Norfolk with ASHBY in the title. A third place, titled Ashby (near Buckenham), has been redirected here after establishing they are one and the same.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Ashby St. Mary is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The civil parish has an area of 2.03 square kilometres (0.78 sq mi) and in the 2001 census had a population of 297 in 115 households, the population increasing to 316 at the 2011 Census. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the District of South Norfolk.

The village is situated 7 1⁄2 miles (12.1 km) south-east of Norwich and 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Thurton, with the smaller settlements of Claxton (to the north), Hellington (to the west) and Carleton St. Peter (to the east) all lying a similar distance away. The church has a high tower, a long, low nave, and an impressive Norman door.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ashby St. Mary from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ASHBY, a parish in Loddon [registration] district, Norfolk; 3 miles SW of Buckenham [railway] station, and 7 SE of Norwich. Post Town: Rockland under Norwich. Acres: 487. Real property: £1,360. Population: 257. Houses: 58. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Carleton, in the diocese of Norwich."

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ashby St Mary. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.