Ashby de la Launde is a small village, part of the civil parish of Ashby de la Launde and Bloxholme, in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. The village is situated just west of Digby, and east of the A15 and B1191 roads.
It was a separate parish until 1931 in Sleaford Rural District when it joined with the neighbouring parish of Bloxholme in a reorganization of parishes which took the united parish into East Kesteven Rural District.
The De La Launde family acquired this parish in the 14th century, by marriage with the Ashbys. They were later succeeded by the Kinge (or King) family, who became the new Lords of the Manor. (Source: GENUKI where there are many other facts about Ashby de la Launde.)
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.