Place:Arlingham, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameArlingham
Alt namesErlingehamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 111
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates51.8°N 2.433°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoBerkeley (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Arlingham is a village and civil parish which since 1974 has been located in the Stroud District of Gloucestershire, England. The 2001 Census recorded a parish population of 410. The parish occupies a peninsula on a sharp bend in the River Severn. The next parish to the east is Fretherne-with-Saul.

History

Arlingham is on the course of a Roman road which crossed the Severn (by a ford or ferry) to Newnham-on-Severn. The ford was in use until the 19th century but a change in the course of the river in 1802 made the ford difficult. The ferry continued in use until after the Second World War. In 1810 the Severn Tunnel Company secured an Act of Parliament to build a tunnel under the river here, and there were various schemes for a bridge, most recently in 1950. None of these came to fruition.

Arlingham was an exclave of the hundred of Berkeley.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Arlingham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.