Arkley parish was created in 1894 from part of the parish of Barnet. It was part of the Barnet Rural District until 1905 when it was absorbed into Barnet Urban District. Barnet Urban District was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of Barnet.
Arkley is now a village in the London Borough of Barnet. It consists of a long village strung out between Barnet and Stirling Corner, roughly centred on the "Gate" pub, and is composed of the ancient hamlets of Barnet Gate, Rowley Green and Arkley hamlet. It is located 10.6 miles (17.1 km) north-northwest of Charing Cross (a basis for measuring distances in the centre of London), and at 482 feet (147 m) above sea level is one of the highest points in London. It is also home to one of the oldest windmills in southern England.