Arisaig is located on the north coast of eastern mainland Nova Scotia, on the Northumberland Strait, and is connected to the town of Antigonish to the SE and to New Glasgow to the West by NS Route 245, the "Sunrise Trail".
There is a government wharf and recently rebuilt lighthouse situated at Arisaig Harbour. The local Roman Catholic church dedicated to St. Margaret of Scotland. The present church was constructed in 1878 and the parish itself was established in 1792. Two cairns are situated in the community - one near the wharf marking the approximate site of the original log cabin church, and a second near the present church commemorating the centennial of its construction.
Arisaig Park, which borders on the Northumberland Strait, features significant fossil deposits.