Place:Argam, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameArgam
Alt namesErghamsource: alternate spelling
Argam Villagesource: Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 27
Ergonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 305
TypeChapelry, Parish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates54.118°N 0.288°W
Located inEast Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
Humberside, England     (1974 - 1996)
East Riding of Yorkshire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoDickering Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which the parish was located
Bridlington Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which the parish was situated 1894-1935
Grindale, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandparish into which it was transferred in 1935
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Argam from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ARGAM, or Ergham, a parish in Bridlington [registration] district, [East Riding of] Yorkshire; on the Wolds, 2½ miles WSW of Speeton [railway] station, and 5 NW of Bridlington. Post Town: Grindale under Hull. Acres: 510. Real property: £798. Population: 27. Houses: 4. The living is a sinecure rectory. Value: £21. Patron: Grimston, Esq."

Some references refer to the village of Argam as a deserted settlement. The parish existed for a lot longer. A Vision of Britain through Time states it was a chapelry under Hunmanby until 1269 when it became an ancient parish in the Dickering Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 Argam, which had no townships, became a civil parish. In 1894 it became part of the Bridlington Rural District of the East Riding.

In 1935 the parish was abolished and the area transferred to the parish of Grindale.

In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.


Research Tips

  • GENUKI on Argam.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
  • For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
  • Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.