Place:Ardnamurchan, Inverness-shire, Scotland

Watchers
NameArdnamurchan
Alt namesSunartsource: district
TypeParish
Coordinates56.73°N 5.98°W
Located inInverness-shire, Scotland     (1890 - 1975)
Also located inArgyll, Scotland     ( - 1890)
Highland Region, Scotland     (1975 - 1996)
Highland (council area), Scotland     (1996 - )
See alsoLochaber, Inverness-shire, Scotlandadministrative district in which it was located 1930-1996
source: Family History Library Catalog


Ardnamurchan (Scottish Gaelic: Àird nam Murchan: headland of the great seas) is a 50-square-mile (130 km2) peninsula in Lochaber, Highland, Scotland, noted for being very unspoilt and undisturbed. Its remoteness is accentuated by the main access route being a single track road for much of its length.

The peninsula, which is a parish, was in Argyll until 1890 when the border between Argyll and Inverness-shire was redrawn through Loch Linnhe further south. It is now in the Highland Council Area.

Ardnamurchan is a parish some 13 miles (22 km) northeast of Tobermory and 25 miles (40 km) northwest of Oban in Argyll.

The parish has an area of 461.5 sq. km (178.2 sq. miles). It includes many settlements around its coasts: Strontian, Acharacle, Ardslignish, Laga, Ardtoe, Kentra, Dorlin, Ardshealach, Salen, Resipole, Woodend, Ardnastang, Anaheilt, Scotstown, Shielfoot, Polloch, Scamodale and Achnalea.

For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Ardnamurchan.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ardnamurchan. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!