Place:Ardley, Oxfordshire, England

Alt namesArdley with Fewcottsource: from redirect
Fewcottsource: from redirect
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.94°N 1.21°W
Located inOxfordshire, England
See alsoPloughley Hundred, Oxfordshire, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Bicester Rural, Oxfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1932
Ploughley Rural, Oxfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1932-1974
Cherwell District, Oxfordshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ardley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ARDLEY, a parish in Bicester [registration] district, Oxford; on the boundary ditch between Mercia and Wessex, 3½ miles ENE of Heyford [railway] station, and 4½ NW of Bicester. Post Town: Fritwell under Bicester. Acres: 1,469. Real property: £1,728. Population: 169. Houses: 36. The property is divided among a few. Foundations exist of a Norman castle, built in the reign of Stephen, on the site of Offa's camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value: £307. Patron: the Duke of Marlborough. The church is good."

After 1974 and the formation of the Cherwell District, the name of the parish was changed from Ardley to Ardley with Fewcott to give recognition to the second settlement within the parish.

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Ardley is a village in Ardley with Fewcott civil parish in Oxfordshire, England, about 4 miles (6.4 km) northwest of Bicester.

The parish includes the village of Fewcott that is now contiguous with Ardley. The two villages are on either side of a stream that rises at Fritwell, flows south to Ardley, then turns east through Stoke Lyne to Fringford. There it joins Crowell Brook, which continues east into Buckinghamshire and ultimately becomes part of the Great Ouse.

The 2011 UK census recorded the population of Ardley and Fewcott parish as 751.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ardley, Oxfordshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.