- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Arden from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):
- "ARDEN-WITH-ARDENSIDE, a township in Hawnby parish, [North Riding of] Yorkshire; 7½ miles NW of Helmsley. Acres: 4,513. Population: 129. Houses, 25. The surface is chiefly part of Humbleton moor. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here in 1150; but has disappeared."
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Arden was part of Helmsley Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Hawnby in the Birdforth Wapentake.
Co-ordinates are taken from those of "Arden Farm" near Hawnby as found on Google Earth.