Place:Ardclinis, County Antrim, Northern Ireland

Watchers


NameArdclinis
TypeParish
Coordinates55.09723°N 6.05347°W
Located inCounty Antrim, Northern Ireland
source: Family History Library Catalog


Historical description

Extracts pertaining to local and historical information are taken from a Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis published in 1837.


ARDCLINIS, a parish, in the Lower half-barony of GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Glenarm; containing 1617 inhabitants. This parish is situated on Red bay in the North Channel, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 15,691 statute acres, of which 15,144 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £2055 per annum. The surface is hilly and irregular, but the land in cultivation is fertile, and the system of agriculture is in a very improving state. Much of the waste land has been planted, especially the hills, imparting to the coast an interesting and cheerful aspect. The arable and inhabited portion of the parish consists of one long strip extending from the village of Carnlough along the sea-coast into Red bay, and up one side of the beautiful glen of Glenariff. On the land side it is enclosed by a steep and lofty mountain, ascended only by narrow paths traversing its acclivities, by which the inhabitants convey their fuel in slide carts. The river Acre rises in the neighbouring mountains, and forms a boundary between this parish and that of Layde; it abounds with excellent trout, and where it empties itself into the sea is a salmon fishery. The highest part of the mountains is called Carnealapt-Aura, and near Broughshane they are mostly covered with heath and abound with moor game. Glenariff, one of the seven great glens, is flat in the centre; the river winds through the whole extent of it in a serpentine course, and being on a level with the sea, whenever a high tide meets a flood, it overflows its banks and inundates the glen; the rise on each side towards the rocks assumes an appearance of circular rising ground. Three-fourths of the superficial extent of the parish are composed of mountainous, marshy, boggy, and unprofitable land. Limestone and basalt are found in great abundance. The scenery is enlivened with several gentlemen's seats, among which are Drumnasole, the residence of F. Turnley, Esq.; Knappan, of Major Higginson; and Bay Lodge, of Major Williams. Several of the inhabitants are engaged in the fishery carried on in the bay, where there is a small but commodious harbour, and vessels from 14 to 20 tons' burden can enter the river Acre at high water. Fairs are held at Carnlough. The royal military road passes through this parish, the most mountainous of all the parishes on the coast, notwithstanding which the road preserves a perfect level throughout, at an elevation of a few feet above high water mark; the excavations round Garron Point will be 360 feet in depth. Garron Point is one of the eight coast-guard stations, in the district of Carrickfergus. The parish is in the diocese of Connor, and the rectory forms part of the union of Agherton and corps of the treasurership in the cathedral church of Connor, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £150. The church has for many years been in ruins, and divine service is performed in the school-room at Drumnasole, near the centre of the parish. In the R. C. divisions it is in the union or district of Layde, or Cushendall; the chapel at Glenariff is a spacious building, in which divine service is performed every alternate Sunday. There is a place of worship for Methodists, open every alternate Thursday. A large school-house was erected at Drumnasole, at an expense of £1000, by F. Turnley, Esq., and entirely supported by that gentleman till the year 1833, when it was placed under the management of the National Board of Education: there are also other schools, the whole affording instruction to about 230 boys and 170 girls. On the summit of a headland, near Garron Point, are the remains of a large Danish camp, called Dunmaul or Doonmul, which, according to tradition, was occupied by the Danes during their continuance in Ireland, and from which they set sail when they finally quitted the country.

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!