Appleton-le-Moors is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 183. Historically part of the North Riding of Yorkshire, the village is in the North York Moors National Park, and is near to Pickering and Kirkbymoorside.
Joseph built a house in the village, opposite to where the church now stands. In the 1980s and 1990s the house was turned into a country hotel but has since returned to being a private residence. For a brief time in the 1840s Joseph employed a teacher to teach the village children but this ceased after his sister Ann Shepherd (who married her cousin Robert Shepherd) and her family including 12 children migrated to South Australia in 1843.
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Appleton-le-Moors was part of Kirkbymoorside Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Lastingham in the Rydale Wapentake.