The villages of North Anston and South Anston are the principal constituents of the civil parish of North and South Anston, in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham in South Yorkshire, England. The area is generally known simply as Anston, although the Post Office now officially recognises South Anston in its own right (this change occurred due to postal confusion with nearby Aston and also because of petitions of local residents). Anston is located on the A57, midway between Sheffield and Worksop. It has a population of 9,559.
Anston was already established as a settlement by the time of the Domesday Book (1086), when North and South Anston (Anestan and Litelanstan) were under the ownership of Roger de Busli. The name Anston is thought to derive from "an stan" (a stone) as opposed to anything based on the suffix -ton, and there is much evidence of quarrying in the area. Anston, and neighbouring Dinnington make up a strip of urban development stranded amidst a sea of agricultural land, and its presence and growth owe much to quarrying. The original interest for the area (beyond Anston's agricultural uses) was the sandy "Anstone" magnesian limestone, but the real growth in Anston's population was more due to the sinking of the Dinnington Main Colliery in the early 20th century. Anston is Part of Rotherham Borough Council for the Anston and Woodsetts Ward. It is represented by the three Labour Councillors, Darren J L Hughes, Judy Dalton and Jo Burton.
Anston railway station opened on 20 May 1912 and closed on 2 December 1929.