Toponímia:Angatuba is the indigenous word that means "abundance of spirits".
História:Angatuba was founded in 1862, when Capt. Joseph Mark of Albuquerque bought two hundred and fifty thousand reis, a vast terrain of virgin forests owned by Maria Genoveva Santos, Joao Martins and his heirs and Domingos dos Santos Leite Prado. At that time, the land situated in Itapetininga city, was called "Neighborhood Palmital. This would be the first name of the municipality.
Ali, Jose Marcos de Albuquerque with Teodoro Alvarez, Salvador Pereira de Albuquerque, Salvador Rodriguez, Felisberto Ramos, Teodoro Rodriguez, Jose Vicente Ramos and Ramos Dominiciano began construction of a chapel.
Construction was interrupted by the death of Captain José Marcos de Albuquerque and resumed after the widow, D. Maria Paula de Camargo, married to Lt. Col. Thomas Dias Batista Prestes.
Colonel Prestes constituted committee to resume the construction with Lieutenant Jose Antonio Vieira, Ferreira de Albuquerque Salvador, El Salvador Rodrigues dos Santos, Teodoro Ramos José Vieira and Domitian. These, supported by the local population, completed the construction of the chapel made of wood which was called "Chapel of Ribeirao Grande Palmital. And this was the second name given to Angatuba: "Chapel of Ribeirao Grande Palmital.
Thomas Dias Batista Prestes presented the community with a silver pigeon, an image that represents the Holy Spirit, who became the patron of the chapel.
On March 11, 1872, the provincial law no. 7, raised the town to the rank of the Holy Spirit Parish of Boa Vista.
In May 1873, Lt. Thomas Dias Batista Prestes, get the deeds to the land of the chapel in September and the ground is attached to the heritage of "Chapel of the Holy Spirit of Boa Vista."
In 1885 the Town had annexed territory separated from Itapetininga and was elevated to a municipality by law no. October 27 of March of that year.
The installation proceeded at a February 5, 1887.
In 1908 Law No. 115, changed its name to Angatuba, which in Tupi-Guarani means "House of Spirits," "dwelling place of spirits" or "mansion of the souls." There are historians who claim that Angatuba means, in Tupi-Guarani, "sweet fruit", or Anga = = sweet fruit and tuba.
The first vicar of the parish priest of the village was Caetano Tedeschi.
The district created by Law 5285 of February 18, 1959, was installed on May 29, 1966.