Andover is a town of many industries in the English county of Hampshire. The town is on the River Anton some 18 miles (29 km) west of the town of Basingstoke, 18 miles (29 km) northwest of the city of Winchester and 25 miles (40 km) north of the city of Southampton. In 2015 the town's population is estimated at 64,000.
Watermills have played an important part in Andover's history. The Domesday Book of 1086 provides the earliest record of watermills in Andover and identified six mills. Rooksbury Mill is one of the few surviving mill buildings in Andover. The existence of Rooksbury Mill is first recorded by name in the 17th century. Functioning as a flour mill, it has passed through a succession of owners. A large flour mill, operated by the wel-known British company of McDougalls, is still situated close to the railway station. There was also a large woolen industry. In 1809 Taskers Waterloo Ironworks opened at Anna Valley in Abbots Ann parish and flourished.
During the 18th century, being situated on the main Exeter – Salisbury – London road, Andover became a major stopping point on the stagecoach routes, more than 30 stagecoaches passing through the town each day. In 1789 a canal to Southampton was opened, though this was never a commercial success and closed in 1859.
Andover was linked to Basingstoke and thus to London by railway when the Andover junction station was opened on 3 July 1854; this railway also linking the town to Salisbury.
Andover was made a municipal borough in 1883. In 1932 it absorbed part of the parish of Abbots Ann, and all of the sections of Knights Enham and Foxcott. In the nationwide reorganization of local administration that occurred in 1974, the town was made part of the Test Valley non-metropolitan district, along with the area covered by Andover Rural District.
Charlton is a small village and civil parish northwest of Andover. Due to the expansion of Andover in recent years the two settlements are now effectively contiguous. As of 2005, the village had a population of more than 2,000 people. A map of 1900 indicates that Charlton was located between Foxcott and Knights Enham.