- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Ampfield is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Test Valley in Hampshire, England, between Romsey, Eastleigh, and Winchester. It had a population at the 2001 census of 1,474.
Ampfield lies on sands and clays of Eocene age near the northern edge of the Hampshire Basin. Ampfield Wood on the London Clay to the north of the village is crossed by the Monarch's Way long distance footpath. The parish includes the hamlets of Knapp and Gosport.
The author of the Thomas the Tank Engine series of books, Rev. W Awdry, was born in Ampfield Vicarage.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Ampfield was created as a civil parish from part of the parish of Hursley in 1894. It was part of Hursley Rural District until 1932 when it was transferred to the Romsey and Stockbridge Rural District until 1974. Since then it has been in the Test Valley non-metropolitan district.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Hursley.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Ampfield, Hampshire, England | Hursley, Hampshire, England | Hursley Rural, Hampshire, England | Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England | Test Valley District, Hampshire, England