- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Amble is a town, civil parish and seaport on the North Sea coast of Northumberland, England. It lies at the mouth of the River Coquet, and the nearby Coquet Island is visible from its beaches and harbour. The civil parish is called Amble by the Sea, and in 2001 had a population of 6,044, reducing slightly to 6,025 at the 2011 Census.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Amble from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "AMBLE, a township in Warkworth parish, Northumberland; on the coast, and on the Coquet branch railway, 1½ mile SSE of Warkworth. It contains a village of its own name, well-built and chiefly modern; has a post office under Acklington, Independent, Wesleyan, and Roman Catholic chapels, and extensive coal-mines; and carries on commerce at Coquet harbour. Acres: 1,142. Population: 1,275. Houses: 264."
Amble was a township in the ancient parish of Warkworth. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. It became an urban district in 1894. In 1974 urban and rural districts were abolished and Amble became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.