|Alt names||Allenton||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Barrow, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Burradon (near Rothbury), Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Fairhaugh, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Kidland, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Linbridge, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Linsheeles, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Alnwick District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Alwinton (previously named Allenton and sometimes still referred to as this) is a village and former parish in Northumberland, England. Alwinton is named after the nearby River Alwin, and means "farm on the River Alwin".
Alwinton lies at the head of the Coquet valley, on the edge of both the Otterburn Army Training Estate and the Northumberland National Park. The village is roughly 10 miles (16 km) from the border with Scotland, and about 18 miles (29 km) to the west of Alnwick.
The neighbouring village of Harbottle with Harbottle Castle are about 2.5 kilometres (1.6 mi) from Alwinton. A road continues past Alwinton into the Cheviot Hills where it terminates at the ancient Roman military encampment of Chew Green.
Alwinton's population in the 2001 UK census was only 71. In the early 21st century several of rural Northumberland's least populated parishes were merged into slightly larger units, and Alwinton was one example, being merged with the neighbouring Biddlestone (where the UK census of 2011 the population is included).
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Alwinton was an ancient parish in the Coquetdale Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the civil parishes of Barrow, Burradon (near Rothbury), Fairhaugh, Kidland, Linbridge and Linsheeles. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Alwinton became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
Wikipedia includes an interesting section entitled "Alwinton-Historical population and surnames".
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Alwinton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ALLENTON, or Alwinton, a township and a parish in Rothbury [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies on the Coquet river, at the influx of the rivulet Allen or Alwin, 13 miles NNW of Scots Gap [railway] station, and 19 WSW of Alnwick. Acres: 1,550. Population: 87. Houses: 18. There were formerly two annual fairs. :"The parish contains also the townships of Farnham, Sharperton, Peals, Clennel, Burrowden, Biddlestone, Linbridge, Fair hangh, Netherton-North-Side, and Netherton-South Side. Post Town: Harbottle, under Morpeth. Acres: 31,940. Real property: £16,869. Population: 899. Houses: 167. The property, together with that of Holystone, is held chiefly by two proprietors. Much of the surface is moor and hill, rising toward the Central Cheviots. The living is a vicarage, united to the [perpetual] curacy of Holystone, in the diocese of Durham. Value: £160. Patron: the Duke of Northumberland. The church is early English and cruciform, and was restored in 1853. Charities, £28. "
Townships in parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.