Alveley is a village and civil parish in southeast Shropshire, England, along the Severn Valley on the east side of the River Severn. It has appeared in records dating back to AD50. The population of the parish at the 2011 UK census was 2,098.
The current church (St. Mary's) is of Norman design, built in 1140 on the grounds of an earlier Saxon church (of which only a stone cross survives). It has a notable, although badly damaged, 14th Century mural of the Seven Deadly Sins.
From 1937 to 1969 the village was an active coal mining community in conjunction with the neighbouring village of Highley across the River Severn. The first mineshaft at Alveley Colliery was sunk in 1935 with production beginning in 1938 and reaching full output in 1944. Coal from the colliery was transferred to sidings on the Severn Valley Railway on the opposite bank of the river, to be transported elsewhere by rail. Worsening coal quality at a time of national over supply led to the colliery closing in January 1969 leaving high unemployment and a ravaged landscape. An industrial estate was built immediately after the mine closure along with a proper landscape reclamation scheme in 1986 and the disused colliery and spoil tips were converted into the Severn Valley Country Park.
A small hamlet to the southwest of the village, Little London (Alveley), is one of more than twenty-five settlements which share the capital city's name.
Besides the manor of Alveley, the parish contains two further manors: Kingsnordley (or Nordley Regis) and Astley.