Alsager is a town and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England, to the northwest of the city of Stoke-on-Trent, and east of the railway town of Crewe. The town had a population of 11,775 in the 2011 UK census. The civil parish is bordered by the parishes of Betchton to the north, Church Lawton to the northeast and east, Kidsgrove in Staffordshire to the southeast, Audley Rural, in Staffordshire to the south, Barthomley to the southwest, Haslington to the west, and Hassall to the nortwest.
Alsager was an urban district between 1894 and 1974. In 1974 it was absorbed into Congleton District or Borough before becoming part of Cheshire East in 2009.
Until the 19th century Alsager was a small farming village. Due to its rail connections and rural character, it became a home of choice for pottery works managers from the nearby "Federation of Six Towns" which later became the city of Stoke-on-Trent.
Occurences during and after World War II caused Alsager to expand dramatically. During the Second World War, a large armaments factory was built outside Alsager at Radway Green, and this brought in a large influx of factory workers. In 1948 a displaced persons camp was established for refugees from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and the former Polish Ukraine, countries which had been forcibly incorporated into the Soviet Union.
Alsager was a township in Barthomley ancient parish in Nantwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The ancient parish church for the township of Alsager was St. Bertoline's in Barthomley. A chapel of ease named Christ Church was built in Alsager in 1789 and this became the district church for Alsager in 1852. A further district church (dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene) was opened in 1898. There was also St. Gabriel's Roman Catholic church opened 1955, a Wesleyan Methodist chapel originally built in 1852, and another built 1869, a Primitive Methodist chapel originally built in 1862 and closed in 1969 (its registers of baptisms 1863-1967 are at the Cheshire Record Office), and a Congregational church (now United Reformed) built in 1877.
Alsager includes the hamlets of Cranberry Moss, Cresswellshawe, Day Green (redirected to Hassall), Fanny's Croft, Merelake, Sunnyside, and Talke in Staffordshire. The population was 275 in 1801, 473 in 1851, 2,597 in 1901, 5,575 in 1951, and 12,578 in 2001.