Alnmouth is a village in Northumberland, England. It is situated just off the main A1068 road (to Ashington), situated 4 miles (6 km) east-southeast of Alnwick. The population of the civil parish at the 2001 UK census was 562, reducing to 445 at the 2011 UK census.
Located at the mouth of the River Aln, the village had a port supporting a small fishing industry and engaging in national and international trade. It was for a time a leading north-east centre for the export of grain and other foodstuffs, especially to London; and specialised in the import of timber and slate. These activities to some extent shaped the village, as granaries were constructed to store grain, and sawmills and a boatyard established to process wood and build ships.
Port activities declined at the end of the 19th century, in part because of the deterioration of the port due to the shifting and silting of the river estuary, in part as trade transferred to the railways. A notable change in the course of the river during a violent storm in 1806 resulted in the loss of the remains of the village's original church and disruption to the functioning of the port and industries.
With the coming of the railways, Alnmouth transformed into a coastal resort complete with one of the earliest English golf courses.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Alnmouth.