|Name||Almington and Stonydelph|
|Alt names||Almington||source: parish name from 1935-1974|
|Amington and Stonydelph||source: alternate spelling|
|Almington and Stony-Delph||source: alternate spelling|
|Amington||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Stonydelph||source: settlement in parish|
|Stony-delph||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Warwickshire, England|
|See also||Tamworth, Staffordshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Hemlingford Hundred, Warwickshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Tamworth Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Wilnecote and Castle Liberty, Warwickshire, England||civil parish which absorbed a quarter of the area in 1935|
|Tamworth District, Staffordshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Amington and Stonydelph from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ALMINGTON and STONY-DELPH, a township in Tamworth parish, Warwick[shire]; on the river Anker, near the Coventry canal and the Midland Counties railway, 2 miles NE of Tamworth. Population: 449. Houses: 85. Almington Hall was formerly the seat of the Clintons, and is now the seat of the Repingtons."
NOTE the variations in the spelling of Amington (older) and Almington (current maps but also Wilson's Gazetteer), also those for Stonydelph given above. Almington can now be found on Google Earth within Tamworth. Stonydelph is to its northeast.
Amington and Stonydelph was originally a township in the ancient parish of Tamworth. Although Tamworth was in Staffordshire the township was located in the Hemlingford Hundred of Warwickshire.
It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Tamworth Rural District. In 1935 Amington and Stonydelph was abolished and replaced by the civil parish of Amington. At the same time one-quarter of its area was transferred to Wilnecote and Castle Liberty civil parish, also in Warwickshire. Since 1974 the area has been part of the Tamworth District in Staffordshire. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
Staffordshire Research Tips
Reminder: Staffordshire today covers a much smaller area than formerly. The West Midlands now governs the southeastern corner of pre-1974 Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent, although ceremonially still part of Staffordshire, is a unitary authority covering a large well-populated part of the north of the county.
- Staffordshire Record Office, Eastgate Street, Stafford ST16 2LZ (phone and email contact details, opening hours, etc.)
- Stoke on Trent City Archives, City Central Library, Bethesda Street, Hanley, Stoke on Trent ST1 3RS (phone and email contact details, opening hours, etc.)
- Lichfield Record Office, The Friary, Lichfield WS13 6QG (phone and email contact details, opening hours, etc.)
- The William Salt Library is the reference library in Stafford and is adjacent to the county archive offices. They have an online catalogue of their holdings.
- GENUKI lists other large libraries in Staffordshire for Wolverhampton, Burton-upon-Trent, Dudley, Walsall, and Sandwell. The last three of these places are now in the West Midlands and may hold items of local interest which are no longer housed in Staffordshire libraries and archives. For example, The Walsall Archives Centre keeps local census records and local church records.
- The Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry includes Staffordshire in its remit. It has branches in Stoke-on-Trent, Burton-on-Trent and Wolverhampton. Publications are available through the BMSGH shop. Payments accepted by debit and credit card and by Paypal. Other family history and local history societies situated around Staffordshire are listed by GENUKI.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Staffordshire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date. An index of parishes leads to notes and references for each parish. The auxiliary website English Jurisdictions can also be helpful.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts (1837 onwards) and the rural and urban districts of the 20th century. They have just announced (August 2015) a future expansion to their data including 2011 census population data and links to post-1974 county organization.
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- Brett Langston's list of Staffordshire Registration Districts and parishes within each registration district from 1837 to the present can indicate where to find details of civil registration entries since the process began in England.
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Warwickshire, England | Almington and Stonydelph, Warwickshire, England | Tamworth, Staffordshire, England | Hemlingford Hundred, Warwickshire, England | Tamworth Rural, Warwickshire, England | Wilnecote and Castle Liberty, Warwickshire, England | Tamworth District, Staffordshire, England