Located on land purchased from Mr. and Mrs. John W. Whisenant, this cemetery was formally established on 5 April 1888 by the International Order of Odd Fellows, Local Lodge No. 249. Encompassing almost three acres of land, this cemetery has served the Allen community for over a century.
The oldest legible grave marker here is that of Rebecca L. Hamilton (d.1883), although local oral tradition holds that earlier graves may exist, including a slave burial ground in the southeast corner of this cemetery.
Tombstone inscriptions reveal evidence of earlier epidemics and include the names of a number of veterans of foreign wars. Robert J. Cuffman (d.1918) was killed in the Meuse-Argonne offensive in WWI. Mahlon Brackney served in the Spanish-American War. Also represented on grave markers here are notable early citizens of the community, including Permelia Ford, a pioneer settler and Doctors H. N. Compton and William F. Wolford.
The Allen Cemetery Association organized in 1899, cares for the historic graveyard and sponsors an annual Decoration Day.
(Taken from the Texas State Historical Marker located there.)