Alexandria is a city in, and the county seat of, Douglas County, Minnesota, United States. First settled in 1858, it was named after Alexander and William Kinkead. The brothers were from Maryland. The form of the name was meant to be like that of Alexandria, Egypt, a center of learning and civilization.
The village of Alexandria was incorporated February 20, 1877. Its city charter was adopted in 1908, and it was incorporated as a city in 1909.
W.E. Hicks was pivotal to the early development of the town. He purchased the townsite in 1868 and established a mill, hotel, newspaper, and store. He donated property for a courthouse, jail, and two churches: Methodist and Congregational. He served as the first postmaster in 1858.
The population was 11,070 at the 2010 census.
In 2013, Alexandria was picked as a "Top 10 Best Small Town" by the Livability website.