Alexander is a town in Genesee County, New York, United States. The population was 2,534 at the 2010 census. The town is named after Alexander Rea, an early settler. The Town of Alexander is on the south border of the county. It includes a village also named Alexander.
Alexander Rea purchased 28 and 1/10 acres in the town in 1802 for $56.20 and founded the Village of Alexander. The next year he laid out a road, now Walnut Street and Route 98, North of the settlement. The Town of Alexander was incorporated in 1812, from a part of the Town of Batavia.