- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Aldringham or Aldringham with Thorpe is a civil parish in the Suffolk Coastal District of Suffolk, England. Located south of the town of Leiston, the parish includes the villages of Aldringham and Thorpeness, which is on the coast, between Sizewell to the north and Aldeburgh to the south. In 2007 it had an estimated population of 700, rising to 759 at the 2011 Census.
As noted by Wilson in his Gazetteer below, the settlement of Thorpeness is often referred to as "Thorpe".
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Aldringham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ALDRINGHAM, a village and a parish in Blything [registration] district, Suffolk. The village stands near the coast and near the Aldborough railway, 2¼ miles N of Aldborough. It was formerly a market town; and it still has fairs on 11 Oct. and 1 Dec. The parish contains also the hamlet of Thorpe. Post Town: Aldborough under Saxmundham. Acres: 1,783; of which 80 are water. Real property: £1,913. Population: 471. Houses: 111. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; and includes the curacy of Thorpe. Value: £59. Patron: the Rev. E. Hollond. The church is transition Norman, and has an octagonal font. There is a Baptist chapel."
Categories: Suffolk, England | Aldringham, Suffolk, England | Blything Hundred, Suffolk, England | Blything Rural, Suffolk, England | Blyth Rural, Suffolk, England | Suffolk Coastal District, Suffolk, England