- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Alderley was one of the eight ancient parishes of the Macclesfield Hundred of Cheshire, England. It included the following townships:
Under the Poor Law Amendment Act 1886 Alderley itself was abolished and these townships became civil parishes in their own right. The three parishes became part of Macclesfield Rural District in 1894. On the abolition of the rural district in 1974 they became part of the new Macclesfield District or Borough, a non-metropolitan district with borough status. The Borough of Macclesfield was abolished on 1 April 2009 and the parishes were transferred to the new Cheshire East unitary authority.
Alderley Edge is a nearby town which evolved from Chorley township of Wilmslow, an ancient parish adjacent to the ancient parish of Alderley.
- The Source List for Alderley and its townships on WeRelate has only two entries, both under Nether Alderley. It would appear Alderley was omitted when the database was created. The Family History Library Catalog has a list of ten sets of films. The FamilySearch Wiki for Alderley refers to a number of records which are online. The Wiki states that the Alderley parish has been transcribed and is available online Cheshire Parish Register project, but the link to the project is dead.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Alderley, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England | Over Alderley, Cheshire, England | Nether Alderley, Cheshire, England | Great Warford, Cheshire, England