Place:Alderholt, Dorset, England

Watchers


NameAlderholt
TypeVillage
Located inDorset, England


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Alderholt is a large village and civil parish in the East Dorset district of Dorset, England; situated west of Fordingbridge. The parish includes the hamlets of Crendell and Cripplestyle. The local travel links are located from the village to Salisbury railway station and to Bournemouth International Airport. The main road running through the village is the B3078 connecting Alderholt to Fordingbridge and Shaftesbury. The village has a population of 3,113 according to the 2001 Census.

The village is served by a convenience store, a pet store, Veterinary clinic and part-time GP surgery. The village pub is the Churchill Arms. There are three churches in the village: Alderholt Chapel, St James' Church of England and the Tabernacle Gospel Church.

The village has a large recreation ground with a sports and social club, two tennis courts, and a children's play area.

Until 1964, the village was served by a railway station named Daggons Road, situated to the west of the village, and on a line connecting to Fordingbridge and Salisbury to the north, and Verwood and Wimborne to the south.

The civil parish was created in 1894. A Parish Book was published in 1994 by the Alderholt Parish Council, recording Parish details and interest over the 100 years

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Alderholt. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.