Place:Alby with Thwaite, Norfolk, England

Watchers
NameAlby with Thwaite
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.849°N 1.282°E
Located inNorfolk, England
See alsoSouth Erpingham Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Aylsham Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Erpingham Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
North Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municiplaity covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


NOTE: The small hamlet of Thwaite-St. Mary is located in the South Norfolk District and formerly in Loddon Rural District. Other than the name there is no link between it and Alby with Thwaite.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Alby with Thwaite is a civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The parish straddles the A140 some 10 km south of Cromer and 30 km north of Norwich.

The parish was formed from the earlier ancient and civil parishes of Alby and Thwaite All Saints (redirected here; for descriptions, see below) in 1888. Alby Hill, for which no description has been found, has also been redirected here.

Alby with Thwaite has an area of 5.81 km2 and in the 2001 census had a population of 223 in 86 households, the population increasing to 245 at the 2011 Census. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of North Norfolk.

The church of Thwaite, All Saints, is one of 124 existing round-tower churches in Norfolk.

Alby

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Alby from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ALBY, or Aldby, a parish in Aylsham [registration] district, Norfolk; near the river Bure, 4½ miles NNE of Aylsham, and 17 ENE of Elmham [railway] station. Post Town: Hanworth, under Norwich. Acres: 811. Real property: £1,974. Population: 231. Houses: 58. The property is divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £140. Patron: R. Drinkley, Esq. The church is old but good."

Thwaite All Saints

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Thwaite All Saints from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"THWAITE-ALL SAINTS, a parish in Aylsham [registration] district, Norfolk; 6½ miles WNW of North Walsham [railway] station. Post town: Aylsham, under Norwich. Acres: 676. Real property: £2,264. Population: 147. Houses: 32. The manor belongs to the Earl of Orford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £110. Patron: the Bishop of N. The church is tolerable. There is a national school."

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Alby with Thwaite. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.