Akebar is a township and civil parish in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England, about eight miles south of Richmond. It consists of a caravan site, as well as several farm houses, a pub and folly. The civil parish as a whole consists of several farm houses.
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Akebar was located in Leyburn Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Finghall in the Hang West Wapentake.
Akebar Farm is in lower Wensleydale in an ‘area of outstanding natural beauty’. The Ellwood family have farmed at Akebar for two generations. The name of Akebar is Danish in origin and is one of Yorkshires lost villages. It was a village settlement even before the Viking invasion when James the Deacon, a disciple of St. Paulinus, established an early church at Akebar in the 7th century A.D. The present church of St. Andrew, on the edge of the park, was built in the 11th century on the position of the first church. It is still an active and well loved church.
The township of Akebar was mentioned in the records of Jervaulx Abbey in 1290. It remained a grange farm for Jervaulx, a daughter monastery of the Cistercian Order at Fountains Abbey, until the dissolution of the monasteries around 1530. The Abbot and Monks of Jervaulx were well known for their excellent cheese, named Wensleydale, and famous for the breeding of horses of exceptional quality and bravery. It’s recorded that a large number of their brood mares were kept at the grange farms at Akebar. In more recent times in 1970 the Ellwood family developed 40 acres of the farm into a holiday park, followed by the 9 and 18 hole golf courses, which have spectacular views of Yorkshire from the Jubilee Beacon at the 10th tee. The conversion of two 18th century farm cottages into a restaurant and bar is a popular meeting place for both local folk and holiday makers. The remainder of the land at Akebar is still farmed with corn, sheep, cattle and horses in the traditional Yorkshire Dales way.