- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Adwalton is village in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough, West Yorkshire, England. It is south west of Leeds and is now generally regarded as part of the larger village of Drighlington. It is in the BD11 (Bradford) postcode area.
It is notable as the site of the Battle of Adwalton Moor in 1643; an event of the First English Civil War .
Historically, Adwalton was in the ecclesiastical parish of Birstall in the Morley division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley. From 1894 until 1937, Adwalton was located in Drighlington Urban District and from 1937 until 1974 in the Morley Municipal Borough.
- GENUKI on Adwalton. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Birstall provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Adwalton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to four maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding North 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.