|Alt names||Edredston||source: Wikipedia|
|Bellshill||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Bamburgh, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Belford Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Adderstone with Lucker, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Adderstone is a village in the English county of Northumberland. Its name is given as Edredston in Domesday Book and is Anglo-Saxon Old English 'Eadred's farmstead'.
From History of Northumberland William Whellan & Co., 1855
- "Adderstone, a township in Bambrough parish, is situated three miles S.S.E. from Belford. It contains 2,603 acres, the property of the Duke of Northumberland, John Church, Esq., John Pratt, Esq., Thomas A. Graham, Esq., and others; and its annual value is £3,714. 10s. Population in 1801, 300; in 1811, 327; in 1821, 342; in 1831, 322; in 1841, 302; and in 1851, 299 souls. The manor of Adderstone was anciently the property of the Forsters, who had a seat here, but in 1763 it was transferred to John Wm. Bacon, Esq., by whom Adderstone Hall was erected, and subsequently came into the possession of John Pratt, Esq., of Bell's Hill, in this township. Adderstone Hall is at present unoccupied. Twizell house, the seat of P. Selby, Esq., J.P., is a fine mansion, and not more remarkable for its exterior appearance and situation, than for the beautiful museum which it contains. This township is intersected by the York, Newcastle, and Berwick Railway."
Adderston was a township in the ancient parish of Bamburgh and included the hamlet of Bellshill. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Belford Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Adderstone with Lucker.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Adderstone, Northumberland, England | Bamburgh, Northumberland, England | Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England | Belford Rural, Northumberland, England | Adderstone with Lucker, Northumberland, England