Place:Adderstone, Northumberland, England

Watchers


NameAdderstone
Alt namesEdredstonsource: Wikipedia
TypeVillage
Located inNorthumberland, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

 

Adderstone is a village in the English county of Northumberland. Its name is given as Edredston in Domesday Book and is Anglo-Saxon Old English 'Eadred's farmstead'.


Research Tips

Adderstone, a township in Bambrough parish, is situated three miles S.S.E. from Belford. It contains 2,603 acres, the property of the Duke of Northumberland, John Church, Esq., John Pratt, Esq., Thomas A. Graham, Esq., and others; and its annual value is £3,714. 10s. Population in 1801, 300; in 1811, 327; in 1821, 342; in 1831, 322; in 1841, 302; and in 1851, 299 souls. The manor of Adderstone was anciently the property of the Forsters, who had a seat here, but in 1763 it was transferred to John Wm. Bacon, Esq., by whom Adderstone Hall was erected, and subsequently came into the possession of John Pratt, Esq., of Bell's Hill, in this township. adderstone hall is at present unoccupied. twizell house, the seat of P. Selby, Esq., J.P., is a fine mansion, and not more remarkable for its exterior appearance and situation, than for the beautiful museum which it contains. This township is intersected by the York, Newcastle, and Berwick Railway. William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland, 1855 This page uses content from http://www.stevebulman.f9.co.uk/northumberland/bamburgh.html

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Adderstone. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.