Acton Trussell is a village in the English county of Staffordshire. It is known as Actone in the Domesday Book. Located around 4 miles southeast of Stafford, it is an affluent village, with many large homes but few local amenities (except for a Post Office which opens Tuesdays and Thursdays). Residents in this village have excellent views of Staffordshire farmland and Stafford Castle in the distance. Its close proximity to the M6 motorway (Junction 13) makes it a very convenient location for commuters. The majority of commuting from the village takes place to the areas of southern Staffordshire, eastern Shropshire and the West Midlands conurbation.
The village church dedicated to St James was originally built in 1212. It was then enlarged and rebuilt in 1869 under the direction of G E Street, the architect being Andrew Capper. The main additions were a combined vestry and organ chamber on the north side and a new south porch. The church was re-opened after restoration in 1870 having been closed for 44 years.
The village has one very large pub and hotel 'The Moat House' not to be confused with 'The Moat House Group'. The Moat House Acton Trussell is owned independently by the Lewis family. The pub section of the hotel was the original farm house built on the property. The Lewises have two sons, who at one point co-owned The Swan Hotel in Stafford.
The name, if not the location, of Acton Trussell was borrowed by Staffordshire-born entertainer Patrick Fyffe (aka Dame Hilda Bracket) in creating the fictional village Stackton Tressel, home of eccentric spinster musicians Hinge and Bracket.
ACTON-TRUSSELL, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Baswick, union of Penkridge, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from Penkridge; containing, with Bednall, 574 inhabitants. The township of Acton and Bednall comprises 2551 acres, of which 1400 are arable, and the remainder grass, with a few acres of plantation; the soil is a good gravelly loam. Acton lies west of Bednall, adjoining the river Penk and the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Bednall united; net income, £234; patrons, the Trustees of William Hulme. The glebe-house was built in 1842 by the Rev. Matthew Davies, the incumbent; it commands extensive and beautiful views: the glebe consists of 32 acres. The chapel of Acton, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient edifice in the early English style, with a square tower: Bednall chapel, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1844, and consecrated in July 1846; it is a neat structure with a bell-turret. There is a national school.
Adapted from: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), by Samuel A. Lewis, pp. 9-12. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50743 Date accessed: 11 February 2011.
Because Acton Trussell was a chapelry (a smaller sub-division of a civil parish), church registers of at least baptisms and possibly burials exist; and as this chapelry was granted ecclesiastical sanction to marry couples, marriage registers exist as well.
Should a search in the above chapel registers not reveal the ancestor or ancestral family, then always search the 'mother' or ancient parish in which it resides--Baswick--for the next best chance of finding the ancestor's baptism or burial, etc.