Acomb is a village in the south of Northumberland, England. The population at the 2001 UK census was 1,184 increasing to 1,268 at the 2011 UK census. It is situated to the north of Hexham, not far from the junction of the A69 road and A6079 road.
In this area there was much mining and quarrying. The coal mine at Acomb in 1886 employed 200 workers and 51,000 tons of coal per annum were raised. It was good coking coal and 41 coke ovens were in use. At Fallowfield then still working was another lead mine, where the Romans had mined and quarried. In 1886 the mine employed 120 men, mining lead and barites.
Acomb was originally a township in the ancient parish of Lee St. John. It became a separate civil parish in 1866 and this status remains. There are also references to East Acomb and West Acomb. West Acomb appears to have been a hamlet within Acomb (not found on maps except at the largest scale), or another name for Acomb. East Acomb is a village located in the civil parish of Bywell 10 miles to the east. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time and the map dated 1900 given below.)
From 1894 until 1974 Acomb parish was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Allendale became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.