A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ackton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Ackton was made a civil parish in 1866 and was located within Featherstone Urban District. In 1938 it merged with Snydale to become Ackton and Snydale Civil Parish but remained within Featherstone Urban District until 1974. The area is now in the borough of Wakefield in West Yorkshire. Ackton Hill Colliery was the first pit to close following the miners' strike of 1984-5.
Ackton was part of the ecclesiastical parish of Featherstone in the Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley Wapentake. It was situated in the Castleford Registration District until 1868, and then in the Pontefract Registration District until 1930.